A whole new diving experience on the Quino El Guardian
July 2nd-9th, 2017
Sea of Cortez: Join Kids Sea Camp for our first ever
Citizens Science Week on the Quino El Guardian.
With clear, deep waters, abundant sea life, golden sandy beaches and inspiring vistas, the Sea of Cortez – known as the Gulf of California – is a breathtaking destination for scuba diving, snorkeling, sailing, boating, and exploring diverse marine creatures. Legendary diver Jacques Cousteau described the Sea of Cortez as the “world’s aquarium”.
Dive on untouched walls and reefs abounding in marine life. Encounter large and small whale species, whale sharks, jumping mobula rays, and sea lion colonies. Hike and explore remote uninhabited islets. Dine under the stars in a calm anchorage, socialize with your shipmates and make new Kids Sea Camp friends. All in a day aboard Quino el Guardian, combined with personalized service to enhance your liveaboard safety and fun. Dive into your dreams and see what Sea of Cortez diving is all about.
Although the conditions in the Sea of Cortez are mostly calm, there are times that the sea is rough. Please be prepared for this type of situation. There are several over the counter remedies that can help you in case we are faced with rough seas during your trip.
Q: What is a “Citizen Science” trip?
A:The Citizen Science Program merges marine scientists with enthusiastic and mindful divers who want to make a difference. This program has successfully brought together scientists and volunteer divers to the Socorro Islands to study manta rays and sharks as well as to the Sea of Cortez to study geology and marine ecology. Recreational divers benefit from observing and participating with scientists as they conduct research, assist with tasks, and receive nightly presentations.
Q: Do I need special qualifications to go on this trip?
A: No! All that is required is to be a certified diver and have a love for the ocean. Data collection will be guided by our expert scientists. There will be training dives and nightly presentations to help you feel comfortable working alongside the scientists. You will learn about the ecological context in which animals of the Socorro Islands and the Sea of Cortez live. Potential experiences may include learning how to photo-ID and take skin samples of sharks and mantas. You can be as involved with the research process as much or as little as you want
Total cost for the seven-day trip is only $3,595.00.
The price includes three meals per day, snacks, beverages including soft drinks, juice, all domestic beer, and wine. Tanks, weights, and weight belts are also provided.
- National Park Fees of $28.00 per person Included
- Hyperbaric Chamber Fee $15.00 per person Included
- Transfer from PHX $125pp Included.
- Gratuity fee of 10-15% per person recommended.
- Passports: A copy of your passport prior to the trip is required.
- Dive Insurance is required. You must show proof of insurance and dive certification when boarding. Without proof, you will not be able to dive.
- Prices include three meals per day, snacks, beverages including soft drinks, juice, and water, beer and wine.
- Tanks, weights, and weight belts are also provided.
“The Citizens Science week on the Quino El Guardian was one of the best diving experience of my life.” Tom Peyton, Vice President of Family Dive Adventures.
Welcome to Quino El Guardian!
Quino El Guardian is extremely seaworthy and is approved by both the US Coast Guard and the Mexican Coast Guard. She is equipped with state-of-the-art electronics and all required safety equipment. The Quino vessel is 90 ft long with a 23 ft beam.
The Quino comfortably accommodates 17 passengers with additional space for two of the group leaders in the crew quarters
- 5 cabins
- 4 cabins with 4 beds: 2 bunks on each side equaling 4 beds
- Each bed has a privacy curtain, light and power outlet
- Dresser with 4 large drawers – one for each guest with additional storage under the beds
- Rooms are assigned by gender
- 1 cabin with two beds that sleeps 2 (typically reserved for a couple)
- There is air conditioning throughout all interior areas for everyone’s comfort – each cabin can be individually controlled
- 4 spacious bathrooms with a full-size shower in each on the dive deck (also air conditioned) – each bathroom is assigned to a cabin so guests can leave their personal items inside
- 2 community lavatories on the dive deck
- A Large galley that comfortably accommodates all passengers with a projector and a drop-down screen for group presentations.
- Salon is comfortable with sofas, a TV, a computer table set up, books and DVD’s
- Huge, well-organized dive deck with gear storage for all your diving equipment and a spacious camera table
- Dive platform for easy access to the inflatables
- Rinse shower on the dive platform
- 2 onboard compressors
- Large shaded sundeck with lawn chairs – perfect for relaxing between dives.
- 2 inflatable pangas to get you to the dive spots and back to the boat with very sturdy ladders for the safety and ease of our divers.
- All power is 110 (just like the US)
We are very excited to have you travel with us. Our destinations are magical and our reputation is world class.
Because of this, many our guests come back year after year. The Quino staff is here to ensure that you have an amazing experience. In this package, you will find information to help you prepare for your upcoming adventure. If you have any questions or special requests,
please contact us.
We look forward to seeing you!