How we train
Kids Sea Camp and Family Dive Adventures offer a full range of dive training and vacation services. The flagship program is Kids Sea Camp, which has over 19 years of operation has contributed to over 7,000 new diver certifications. We are experts in dive training for youth kids and young adult certifications.
In 2000, Margo created Kids Sea Camp as a way to cater to families wanting to share their vacation experiences with each other or with other like-minded families. There was a huge need to assist families in the scuba diving community and Margo wanted to fill that need. She realized that many parents and grandparents wanted to take dive vacations with their families. They wanted beautiful destinations where the kids would be safe, have fun and be able to create memories that would last a lifetime. Kids Sea Camp provides all of this, we offer safe environments where families learn to dive and experience the underwater world together, a fun place to build friendships and bonds with other families from around the world.
The resort/dive operator provides staffing for the events: Kids Sea Camp hires the resort staff and dive operator staff, who then support KSC family weeks. 100% of the programs are run by dive operator and hotel staff, not Kids Sea Camp staff. The dive operator staff required includes PADI active dive master and instructor staff who will work with kids each day while they are involved with dive programs, normally while parents are out diving. These five-star PADI dive shops are experts in dive training.
Our ratios for instructors and kids are generally 2 kids per instructor in a course for kids up to the age of 12. 12+ ratios are based on PADI standards such as 1 instructor with 4 kids in a course and with certified kids 1 instructor for every 5 kids not in a course.
Kids Sea Camp teaches kids to be responsible, safe and confident divers. We create adventures for families of all ages, sizes and cultural backgrounds. Here families can come together and embark on journeys to places they may never have dreamed of and in ways, they could have only imagined. At Kids Sea Camp parents and kids can dive safely and spend time together and apart.
Kids Sea Camp family weeks offer all PADI dive programs for kids. 15 of the PADI courses are ACA accredited (college credits)
Padi programs now offered online through eLearning. Go toPADI.com and start your diving certification course now. Get the book work and tests out of the way and we will do the rest when you arrive. Click on Kids Sea Camp as your dive store.
Training and courses we offer at Kids Sea Camp
- Jr. Open Water Certifications 10+ (scuba diving training for kids 10 and up) and our Teen Ocean Discovery program (advanced programs for certified divers, working on continued education and certifications).
- SEAL TEAM aspiring young divers ages 8+ (the first stage of scuba diving, experienced in an enclosed shallow environment)
The PADI Seal Team is for young divers who are looking for action-packed fun in a pool by doing exciting scuba AquaMissions. Have you ever wondered what it’s like to dive with flashlights, take digital pictures underwater or float effortlessly like an astronaut? These are AquaMissions that introduce you to wreck, navigation, buoyancy, underwater photography, environmental awareness and more.
Here’s your chance to do some cool stuff in the pool, meet friends and share in the adventure of the underwater world. The best part of the Specialty AquaMissions is they reinforce save diving skills while the kids are having fun. PADI Seals get to sample a wide variety of dives. In addition, it provides parents with a structured program that lets their children develop skills, learn about the aquatic environment and have a lot of good, clean fun. This is also an excellent way to introduce kids to scuba diving prior to full.
The PADI Seal Team program is broken into two parts. The first part, Seal Team, consisting of AquaMissions 1 – 5, teaches kids the basics of diving – things like buoyancy control, mask clearing, regulator recovery, etc. Each young diver will attend two Seal Team sessions to complete all 5 AquaMissions. After building a solid foundation of scuba skills, kids move on to part two – the Master Seal Team. The Master Seal Team is full of specialty AquaMissions, which usually last about an hour. After attending 10 Specialty AquaMissions, the young diver earns their Master Seal Team certification.
PADI Seal Team Helps children learn responsibility Teaches children about the aquatic environment Is a fun experience conducted by certified, trained PADI Professionals
- SASY for kids ages 5-7 (snorkeling)PADI Training programs from SASY age 5-7 (For more information on SASY click here
- JR. Advanced Open Water, age 12-14
- Open Water Certification for young adults ages 15+ Along with a host of specialties offered for kids that are certified divers age 10-17.
New Training: The Kids Sea Camp Diver
PADI has approved its first Kids Sea Diver Specialty course. The certification developed by PADI and KSC founder Margo Peyton is designed to make families that dive together to become better dive buddies.
The certification is to assist parents and other adult family members who want to update and refresh some of the basic skill divers learned during previous dive training. The program provides education for those wanting to become more aware of environmental issues and concerns impacting the regions they are currently diving.
A KSC reboot, by going through the course a new Kids Sea Camp Diver will show mastery in both diving and be a well-trained and confident parent and child buddy team. Divers will have training and education in environmental stewardship and watermanship. There will be an emphasis throughout the course on safety, teamwork, and conservation.
The goals of the Kids Sea camp Diver distinctive specialty training
- Reinforcement of the “Good Buddy” principles and practices for adults and kids diving together.
- Refresh divers with basic signs and skills learned in open water courses as well as updated skills and changes to technique since their certification.
- Educate parents and adults about the benefits of continuing education in diving.
- Encourage interest in leadership roles that promote responsible diving and safer dive planning.
- Discuss local eco-issues and concerns, customs and traditions and how this has impacted the local environments. Example: overfishing, land run-off, plastic introduction, depletion of marine animals.
- Identify local environmental issues, discuss solutions and create awareness.
After almost a 20 years of helping and caring for your families and the ocean, we are encouraged that PADI has seen value in our goal to update and educate families to become better ambassadors of our underwater world.
Other PADI specialties – Taste the fun and adventure
- Altitude Diver
- AWARE – Fish Identification
- AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Diver
- Boat Diver
- Cavern Diver
- Deep Diver
- Digital Underwater Photographer
- Diver Propulsion Vehicle Diver
- Discover Rebreather
- Drift Diver
- Dry Suit Diver
- Enriched Air Diver
- Emergency Oxygen Provider
- Equipment Specialist
- Ice Diver
- Multi-level Diver
- Night Diver
- Peak Performance Buoyancy
- Rebreather Diver
- Project AWARE® Specialist
- Public Safety Diver™
- Search and Recovery Diver
- Sidemount Diver
- Underwater Naturalist
- Underwater Navigator
- Underwater Videographer
- Wreck Diver
- Distinctive Specialties
- Advanced Rebreather Diver
In addition to these PADI dive training courses, we have guest speakers and presenters. Marine conservation topics are scheduled throughout the week. Photo & Video clinics and free demo cameras with SeaLife, featuring the newest line of digital underwater cameras, are available with some packages. Poetry is also apart of our family time at the end of each week. Parents present a family poem and may receive prizes. Photo contest and sponsor supported treasure hunts are also part of our Kids Sea Camp program weeks.
KIDS AGE 5+ SASY
The wonderful world of invertebrates: Kids learn about anemones, jellyfish, and corals. Students learn how anemones fight off dehydration and what those weird tentacles are for.
The fantastic world of marine mammals: Youth learn about the way these once land animals adapted to an aquatic environment and learn about their mysterious and elaborate forms of communication. Did you know that sea otters are the only marine mammals that use tools? Did you know that sea turtles come out of the sea to lay their eggs?
Ocean Explorers: Participants learn about the oceans and how were they were formed? Come meet the animals that dwell in the ocean and learn how animals that live in the open water hide. See why pollution is so dangerous and understand how you can identify an animal by looking at its dead remains on a beach?
KIDS AGE 10+
Learn all about different animals and how they adapt to their environment. Compare shape, color and external features; a habitat’s temperature, sounds, and smells are fundamental while identifying their main characteristics, habitat and organism diversity; types of movement, rays, sharks, turtles and more; Types of coating; diversity in shape; different environments; diversity feeding and behaviors; reproduction; adaptation to environment.
How do species behave when their environment changes? How species develop and change with human interaction? What can we do to conserve the oceans? Kids learn about the diversity of sharks and rays in a fun way. Their multiple shapes, their teeth, their skin, reproduction and even incidents with humans are all approached in interactive and positive ways.
Animal exploitation: We’ll explore how and why some ocean animals are being exploited and we’ll help kids learn what they can do to assist in conservation efforts.
Come play with mathematics with us: It’s fun! Scuba math is part of our daily routines and we don’t even realize it. We use it to measure how much air our tanks hold, how bodies are affected at different depths, how much time we can spend diving at certain depths and how long a turtle can hold its breath.
The diversity of relationships between man and ocean: We will uncover human need and it impacts on our oceans. Teens will learn about food chains and food webs.
Predators vs prey: Participants gain an understanding of the importance of predators, their role in keeping the balance of ecosystems and about their sneaky strategies to capture their prey!
Energy transfers along the food chain:We’ll discuss food chains predator/prey relationships and topic titles such as; To hunt or to be hunted: Man and marine life; Reproduction and survival of the species; The multitude of marine animals; Our responsibility to the ocean and Man’s interventions on the delicate balance of nature.
- Private Group or family travel planning, custom designed to meet specific needs: reunions, wedding, holidays, and anything a client can dream.
- Creativity workshops, motivational speakers, marine art programs, career day presentations
- Corporate incentive family weeks
- Custom designed private dive training programs for groups or individuals: Open Water through IDC can be arranged
- Inspirational and dive team building workshops
- Parent training courses, Parent/child training courses(PADI)
- Staff development: Working with and teaching kids, building your kids and family programs. (how too)
- Leadership and management training when working with kids.
Our partnered PADI dive operators encourage parents to be responsible and confident divers while diving with their children. During Kids Sea Camp, students are given multiple activities and the enthusiasm of a staff dedicated to teaching new and fun fact about the oceans. The Learning takes place both in a classroom environment, as well as, with hands-on programs that teach age appropriate curriculum.
Our PADI Profession partners make underwater exploration and scuba diving adventures possible for kids and adults of all ages while maintaining the highest standards for diver training, safety, and service.
PADI’s “Four E’s Philosophy” is that the dive lifestyle requires four elements:
- Education: Beyond simply learning to scuba dive, you expand your capabilities as a diver through continued education. Kids Sea Camp introduces your kids to new underwater experiences with other like-minded kids around the world and can even help them make a career move to become a PADI Professional as well as credit for college courses.
- Experience: Our PADI dive operators offer a variety of experiences and opportunities to learn, and discover new marine life and marine environments. Diving with us is a family activity and, by affiliating with our family-friendly approved PADI Dive Centers and Resorts, you can explore exotic and off the beaten path destinations around the world with others who share your interests.
- Equipment: Scuba dive gear makes diving possible. The best place to learn about all the fun gadgets and new scuba equipment available to you is at your local PADI Dive Center or call us 803-419-2556 and we are happy to assist you with outfitting your kids, or your entire family. No one knows dive gear for kids better than we do. We understand your needs, how fast kids grow and what is best for all ages.
- Environmental Conservation: We are all about education for a healthy underwater environment and young divers are great advocates for protecting our underwater world and sharing their voices with classmates, friends, and family. Throughout the PADI courses we offer, divers learn the importance of protecting fragile aquatic ecosystems and are encouraged to become involved in local and global conservation efforts. For more than two decades, PADI has partnered with Project AWARE® – a global nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting our ocean planet – one dive at a time. Kids Sea Camp also works with its own nonprofit www.oceanwishes.org.
Outreach programs with local kids: Contact us for training grants 1-803-419-2556
Please contact Kids Sea Camp for more information 1-803-419-2556
Family Dive Adventures is a division of Kids Sea Camp Inc.