KSC Belize: Thatch Caye
Welcome to Thatch Caye, Belize
July 31st to August 7th and August 7th to 14th
Welcome to your private island family dive vacation at the Thatch Caye Resort in Belize! In 2022 we are heading back to southern Belize, away from the hustle and bustle of the Belizean tourist centers. Kids Sea Camp is escaping to the peace and tranquility of the island resort where you can expect healthy reefs with lots of marine life on every dive. Belize Underwater is one of just a few PADI 5-star dive operators in the southern part of the country that caters to dive families with kids. For instance, while diving expects to see large schools of fish, schooling eagles rays, friendly nurse sharks, Hammerheads, huge stingrays, and loggerhead turtles.
For the fisherman, the region has some of the best fly fishing for Bonefish, Tarpon, and Permit in the Caribbean. Thatch Caye is a diver’s and fisherman’s private island paradise. The resort is ideally situated 15 minutes from the second largest reef in the world. Margo and Tom loved the Belizean culture and hospitality. It really is all about, eating, sleeping and diving, and diving some more.
“Without a doubt for diving and fly-fishing, there is no better place in the Caribbean to spend a week, than at the Thatch Caye Resort.”
Thomas Peyton, Vice President of Kids Sea Camp and Family Dive Adventures
Open to US travelers on Oct. 1, 2020 (Must have a PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hrs of arrival) and use The Belize Travel Health App. The app is available in the App Store.
Muy’Ono COVID-19 Video
Terms & Conditions No refund policy applies to all payments made to Kids Sea Camp inc. This includes disruptions due to weather, illness, pandemic, epidemic, acts of God, war, government mandates, canceled/delayed flights, and all unforeseen circumstances outside of Kid Sea Camp inc control. Travel insurance is highly recommended for all trips. Kids Sea Camp is not an insurance company and does not collect payment for any insurance purchased with DAN, MASA, or USI. We provide links to sources that may assist you on our website www.familydivers.com
Welcome to Thatch Caye, your personal island paradise in Belize
Welcome to Thatch Caye, an All-Inclusive Private Island Resort in Belize offering overwater bungalows and island cabanas. Thatch Caye Resort sits on its own private island off the coast of Dangriga, Belize. Only 30 guests at a time can stay at this picture-perfect destination, guaranteeing a unique experience.
The island feels deserted in all the right ways, with a peaceful atmosphere, lush Belizean foliage, and pristine beaches. While the resort is fully sustainable, you won’t even notice you’re staying at an eco-resort.
Thatch Caye is the perfect place to disconnect and recharge. WiFi is only available in common areas, allowing you to immerse yourself in your getaway. When you’re not holing up in your overwater bungalow or cabana, you’ll be discovering the true meaning of blissful tropical living. You’ll be sunbathing on a hammock, swimming in the natural saltwater pool, receiving an optional seaside massage, or enjoying the main event diving with Hammerhead, Nurse sharks, Eagle rays, and Loggerhead turtles.
And yes, there is always Lionfish hunting, every dive, in Belize!
- 7-night stay at the Thatch Caye accommodations on private island, full island rental
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and afternoon snack. All gourmet, locally sourced fresh meals.
- Local non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages
- 6 days of diving; one day of 3 tanks at Glover's Reef Atoll, one day of 3 tanks with lunch at Ranguana, and one day of 3 tank of diving on the barrier reef. 3 days of 2 tank dives on the barrier reef
- Private boats and private guides
- Dive rental gear for kids
- All marine park fees
- PADI SASY program: 6 mornings of activities from 8 am -1 pm daily. SASY kids to keep fins, mask, and snorkel
- PADI SEAL TEAM: 6 mornings of activities from 8 am-1 pm daily includes all 5 aqua missions. SEAL kids to keep fins, mask, and snorkel
- PADI Junior Open Water: All dives needed for certification (eLearning is not included. For eLearning, you will have to pay PADI directly. The link will be sent to you 4 weeks before departure to be completed prior to arrival.)
- Snorkel gear
- Volleyball and other beach games
- Hobie Cat Sailing
- Cooking class
- Drinks making class
- Free Wifi
- Photo slideshow and SeaLife cameras to use all week
- SeaLife cameras to use all week.
- SEAL team keep mask, fins, and snorkel
- SASY keep mask, fins, and snorkel
- Kids Sea Camp tote bags, T-shirts, Flap straps, and other giveaways (giveaways vary on sponsors)
- Treasure hunt for SASY and Seal Team
- Pizza movie night, presentations
- Round trip domestic airport transfers to boat and boat transfer to island
- Welcome drink
- Service fees and taxes
- Round trip international airfare
- Round trip international airport transfers/domestics flights in Belize
- Premium Beverages
- Adult dive gear
- Adult dive courses
- Night diving, extra $120pp
- Fly Fishing- inquire with Tom or Olivia for packages and pricing.
- Local air to and from BZE airport to The Thatch Caye Resort, meet and greet. Please advise if you wish to use our group space. Includes meet and greet and luggage assistance as well as airport transfers to the resort.
- Nitrox $200 per person for the week
- E:learning for any courses not included
Once you arrive on the island
This is a general sample schedule that will change depending on the weather, courses offered, and location. Other activities and courses and detail will be provided on a final schedule included with your trip documents. This schedule is also subject to changes on the island.
- Saturday: Arrival day and orientation
- Sunday: 2 boat dives and SASY, Seal, PADI JOW training
- Monday: 2 boat dives and SASY, Seal, PADI JOW training
- Tuesday: 2 boat dives and SASY, Seal, PADI JOW training
- Wednesday: 2 boat dives and SASY, Seal, PADI JOW training
- Thursday: 2 boat dives and SASY, Seal, PADI JOW, 1-afternoon dive
- Friday: 2 boat dives and SASY, Seal, PADI JOW, Family dive day and closing feast and celebration, and slide presentation.
- Saturday: Travel day — back to reality!
The Thatch Caye Resort rooms
Premier Overwater Bungalows: If your dream vacation includes a room over the water, our premier overwater bungalows are for you! Each of the 5 Premier Overwater Bungalows is built on stilts out over the ocean. With stunning 180° views of distant islands and clear blue water, they are a true vacationer’s paradise.
Relax and unwind in a hammock on your private patio, which sways in the warm island breezes. Even though the Premier Overwater Bungalows have air conditioning, open the windows and enjoy the cool air provided by the ocean. Each is colorfully decorated, has an en-suite bathroom, and offers your choice of a king-size bed or two twin-size beds.
Overwater Bungalows: Perched high above the sea, our more spacious overwater bungalows easily accommodate 2 adults very comfortably. These bungalows share a large deck with hammocks swaying in the sea breeze. These units are a friendly close-knit group of thatched overwater bungalows nestled together over the sea. Each has individual bathrooms with a shower and air-conditioning (but you likely won’t need it). Overwater Bungalows are a great way for budget-conscious travelers to get the overwater experience. Traveling with a group?
Penthouse Oceanfront Cabana: Beautifully located, our single Penthouse Oceanfront Cabana has the best ocean views on the island. The largest of our accommodation options, it's complete with an en-suite bath, king-sized bed, seating area, and lounge chairs on the patio. The Penthouse Oceanfront Cabana has air conditioning, open the windows, and enjoy the cool breezes provided by the Caribbean Sea. The Penthouse is perfect for a romantic occasion, but can also be used to house the whole family!
Premier Oceanfront Cabanas: Beautifully located, the four elegant and spacious Premier Oceanfront Cabanas have spectacular ocean views, en-suite baths, king-sized or two twin beds, window seats, easy chairs, and dining tables. A 400 sq. ft. private roof patio with hammocks and lounge chairs completes your spacious home away from home. Premier Oceanfront Cabanas have air conditioning, but we recommend opening the windows and enjoying the cool breeze provided by the Caribbean Sea.
Oceanfront Cabanas: Beautifully located, the two Oceanfront Cabanas have spectacular ocean views, en-suite baths, king-sized beds, and lounge chairs on the patio. Oceanfront Cabanas have air conditioning, so you can be fully comfortable in your island home.
All rates are per person rates for the summer July 31st to August 7th and August 7th to the 14th in 2022.
|Room Types||Per person divers rate|
|1 adult in a Premier Overwater Bungalow||$7,300|
|1 adult in a Overwater Bungalow||$6,930|
|1 adult in a Premier Oceanfront Cabana||$6,930|
|1 adult in a Oceanfront Cabana||$6,050|
|1 adults in a Penthouse oceanfront Cabana||$7,300|
|2 adults in a Premier Overwater bungalow||$5,160|
|2 adults in a Overwater bungalow||$4,960|
|2 adults in a Premier Oceanfront cabana||$4,960|
|2 adults in a Oceanfront Cabana||$4,510|
|2 adults in a Penthouse oceanfront Cabana||$5,160|
|JOW & Certified Kids (Ages 10-17)||$2,695|
|Seal Team (Ages 8-9) & SASY(Age 4-7)||$2,448|
Diving for all levels of experience or age!
Belize Underwater is a 5-star PADI dive shop. During the Kids Sea Camp week, KSC will be adding our team of PADI Pros to the PADI Pro team at Belize Underwater to provide you a safe, fun, and adventure-filled scuba vacation for your whole family. You will be diving in the largest barrier reef in the Caribbean and the second largest in the world! The Belize Barrier Reef offers all levels of diving and snorkeling, from shallow water Cayes to the Great Blue Hole.
We have created this custom family diving expedition with private boats, and PADI Pro dive team just for this Kids Sea Camp event. The dive staff is highly experienced and kid-friendly. Kids Sea Camp staff is special needs friendly as well. Belize Underwater's PADI-certified staff will take you to the Southern Barrier Reef, and the Belize atolls. Dive Ranguana Caye, Glover’s Reef Atoll, the Elbow, and Lighthouse Reef Atoll.
Although spearfishing in the protected areas is not permitted, divers do have the option to add spear-fishing lionfish to any dive! These invasive lionfish are hazardous to our reef, and you'll be helping the Belize Barrier Reef by catching them. We provide tridents for divers who want to spear-fish lionfish.
Rent your gear from our Belize Underwater or bring your own - our guides will set up everything, you just hop on the boat and go! During Kids Sea Camp weeks in Belize, we do offer other PADI courses for adults and young adults. Please give Margo or Olivia 803-4192556 a call to discuss any continuing dive education courses.
- PADI SASY program: 6 mornings of activities from 8 am -1 pm daily. SASY kids keep fins, masks, and snorkels.
- PADI SEAL TEAM: 6 mornings of activities from 8 am-1 pm daily includes all 5 aqua missions. SEAL kids keep fins, masks, and snorkels.
- PADI Open Water: All dives needed for certification (eLearning is not included. For eLearning, you will have to pay PADI directly. The link will be sent to you 4 weeks before departure to be completed prior to arrival.)
See more about Kids Sea Camp dive training
Belize tasty flavors
At Thatch Caye Resort, we know how important your dining experience is. Your own private island, so you will be dining exclusively with us. That’s why they include the all-inclusive, island-style package with all reservations. This package includes three meals per day, snacks, and local alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. The resort has hires the best local chefs to ensure a wide variety of Belizean and international dishes. They cater to any dietary needs, just let us know when you book your trip what you require.
Your typical daily dining consists of a fresh-cooked, made-to-order breakfast, a traditional Belizean lunch, afternoon snack, and authentic three-course dinner. There aren’t menus at Thatch Caye, because all meals are made with fresh and seasonal ingredients
Breakfast is served in the Coco Lounge from 7:00 – 8:30 a.m. and includes coffee or tea, fresh juice, fresh tropical fruits as well as items such as eggs, bacon, sausage, fried jacks, toast, and Johnny cakes. Self-serve coffee will be available at 6:30 a.m.
Lunch is served at The Grove from 12:30 -1:30 p.m. and is typically a light dish such as fish hoagies, wraps, and watermelon soup, or a local rice and bean dish. Packed lunches are provided for guests on tours.
Happy Hour and a light Afternoon Snack is served at the Starfish Bar between 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Ceviche, Nachos, Hummus are all popular choices.
Dinner is served at 7:00 p.m. All meals are authentic and made with local ingredients and adhere to any guest dietary requirements. Dinners typically include a seafood/meat option with vegetarian options upon request. Dinner is served in The Grove, at picnic tables under the sun or the stars, weather permitting.
The Coco Lounge Bar and Starfish Bar are two of the best bars in the Caribbean. And Kids Sea Camp and for two weeks both are all ours!
If you have any food allergies or food preferences please let us know in advance so our cooks will be prepared and our island kitchen well stocked.
Flying to Belize
Arrival should be Sat July 31st and departure on August 7th or arrive on August 7th and depart on the 14th or August. If you wish to come in or go out on different days or book additional days, we are very happy to arrange that for you. There are tons of other enjoyable land-based adventures in Southern Belize.
Belize International Airport is a small airport that provides excellent signage to help travelers get through customs and transfer to your in-country flight to Dangriga. At the point of entry, a passport and proof of return or onward ticket are required. When booking your international flight, please be aware of your landing time. For commuter flights, we recommend arriving in Belize City no later than 3:45 pm, as the last flight to Dangriga departs at 5:00 pm.
When you arrive in Dangriga, guides will be waiting to pick you up to drive you to the dock at the Pelican for the boat pick up. Enjoy the 25 minute, 9-mile boat ride from Dangriga to the island. The boat ride to and from the island is included with your all-inclusive accommodations. Departure times will be arranged on the island and will vary based on all departing guest flight times that day. Give us a call if there are any questions about travel to and from the resort at 803-419-2556
Open to US travelers on Oct. 1st (Must have a PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hrs of arrival) and use The Belize Travel Health
Fishing, jungle hiking, jaguars, and ruins
Belize is so much more than beautiful beaches. Belize boasts the second largest barrier reef in the world, ancient Mayan ruins, jungles, and wildlife reserves. There's no shortage of adventure options, but we have a few recommendations!
Blue Horizon Fly Fishing, is the premier adventure tour & excursion outfitter for travel and vacations in southern Belize. Led by legendary guide Lincoln Westby, your adventure poling the flats and casting for a Grand Slam will create memories to last a lifetime. The flats and Cayes off the coast, protected by the Belize Barrier Reef, are prime targets for landing some of the most exciting species in the world. From the novice to the expert, all necessary excursion equipment is provided at no extra charge. Southern Belize has world-class fishing for Bonefish, Permit, and Tarpon. Call or email Tom at the office 803-419-2556 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fly fishing full day: $525
General Fishing times (Can change depending on the tides and weather)
- Full day: 8 am-4 pm
Other cool tours to do: In addition to the use of kayaks, paddleboards, and bikes on the property (which is included), we also invite you to some of the most unforgettable excursions and tours in Belize.
- Cockscomb Basin & Jungle River Tubing- World-renowned for being the first jaguar reserve with over 128,000 acres of lush tropical rainforest. Explore the jungle trails of this flora & fauna sanctuary with a naturalist tour guide, home to all five of Belize’s cats: Jaguar, Puma, Margay, Jaguarundi, and Ocelot. After your hike, tube-float down the South Stann Creek for a uniquely close-up look at the jungle, and then take a short hike to the waterfall for a cool dip to conclude your visit. Afterward, enjoy a short picnic lunch before heading back. Time: 8 am to 3:00 pm Difficulty: Moderate Bring: bug repellent, sunscreen, hat, light long pants, swimsuit, towel, dry clothes, camera, binoculars, hiking shoes & cash for souvenirs.
- Bioluminescence- This experience exposes guests to one of Belize’s Natural Wonders. This fascinating boat ride meanders through a jungle tunnel and mangrove ecosystem leading to Anderson’s Lagoon, where one experiences the mystical glow of nature! You'll be mesmerized by the Dinoagellates which are tiny unicellular marine plankton also known as fire plants. Witness the water coming alive in various neon colors while jellyfish and fish dart around the boat. SEASONAL. Only offered from January to May. Time: 5 pm to 8:30 pm Difficulty: Easy Bring: camera, comfortable clothes, light jacket.
- Horseback Riding- Ideal for both experienced and non-experienced riders. Leaving from Outback Stables, guests will pass through a citrus grove before entering into the hills that surrounded the Maya Mountains. The trail winds over Pine Forest Hills with beautiful views of the second highest peak in Belize. The trail makes its way over mounds of rock that are the remains of an ancient Maya Civilization until you reach the bank of the Sittee River. Take a break and a swim before hitting the trail again. Time: 8 am to 1 pm or 1 pm to 4 pm Difficulty: Easy Bring: bug repellent, sneakers, sunscreen, hat, swimsuit, light long pants, camera & cash for souvenirs.
- Bocawina Tour Zip Line & Rappelling the Falls- After zipping on the longest zip line in Belize, fill up with a delicious lunch. You will then venture on a guided hike to Bocawina or Antelope Falls where you rappel one hundred feet down. Time: 8 am to 3:30 pm Difficulty: Moderate Bring: bug repellent, sunscreen, light long pants, swimsuit, hat, towel, camera, hiking or water shoes, & cash for souvenirs.
- Xunantunich (Stone Maiden) & Blue Hole National Park- Enjoy the orange farms, banana farms and a good view of our Maya Mountains, during the three hours drive through the Hummingbird Highway, one way. Then cross the Mopan River on a ferry. The reward for climbing to the top of El Castillo is a spectacular view of the Cayo District and Petén Guatemala. The tour guide will stop for lunch at a local restaurant. On the way back, enjoy the fresh dip at the inland Blue Hole. Time: 7 or 7:30 am to 4:30 pm Difficulty: Moderate. Bring, bug repellent, sunscreen, hat, swimsuit, towel, camera, sturdy shoes, dry clothes & cash for souvenirs.
- Half-day Chocolate factory tour: $70 per person